Pages

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Two types of Crafters and my delemia.

I have seen over the years that there are two main groups of crafters, these groups have many subgroups of course.  I am finding that there is a gap in the type of crafter that I am and  my main target group for sales.

Type 1
This time is the stitch and bitch sort of crafter. These are the people that push the edges of the traditional practice with their creativity. Their creativity typically is not conventional in any of their ideas, creations or mannerisms. These people are typically younger, found in a more urban area (not always)  and they use their life experiences, as their inspiration.  They are usually the people that learned from a friend, via youtube, or a book.  They often see an idea and formulate a way to create such creations on their own.

Type 2
These are the people that craft out of  tradition, typically older homemakers  whose profits potentially go to a   "good cause". These are the women that sit at home and do needle work pieces to sell in the church craft show. Their products are equally  interesting and beautiful but has been handed down through a long line of crafters before them. They are family orientated, and use their crafting as means to establish relationship with their children, peers, and other morally correct individuals.

I know that the type of crafter that I am is more of a type 1, but for the most part  my target audience is type 2... le sigh


No comments:

Post a Comment